1. The sun rose at 6 this morning. It will be a nice summer day with temps in the low 80s, mostly sunny skies and only a slight chance of a passing afternoon shower.
2. The Mohegan Tribe‘s annual Wigwam Festival this year is a celebration of the 150th anniversary of the birth of Chief Matahga. The traditional Pow Wow is Saturday and Sunday from 10 to 7 each day. Admission is free to the Fort Shantok event. Featuring (my favorite part) ‘old-style’ Pow Wow drumming, Native art, competitive Native dance exhibitions, Native craft vendors, and traditional Native foods and lots more. There’s parking at the venue in Fort Shantok, but there’s also free parking at Mohegan Sun’s Thames parking garage with free, air-conditioned shuttles to the site.
3. Back-to-school is an at once exciting and daunting time for kids, and expensive time for families; clothes and shoes are not cheap! But and that will at least ease the pain a bit. So go shopping because clothing and footwear purchases of up to $300 are free of state sales tax. And shop local!
4. Did you see the about national obesity statistics and where Connecticut ranked (thinner than most). Okay, so why are people fatter in Mississippi, for example? I think I know. Poverty. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean cuts of meat and fish are much more expensive than dollar store food. What do you think? Is there a correlation between income and obesity?
5. for putting the brakes on a plan to poll tolls on I-95. What’s your take on that? The Ocean State has big problems with its economy but tolls…is that the way to raise that revenue?