Fire Marshal Ray Occhialini says this morning that the cause of Thursday's fire on John W. Luty Drive is undetermined, but that careless smoking can not be ruled out as a cause.
The fire at the home of Karl and Danielle Butzgy started on the wooden front porch, Occhialini said. The family escaped unharmed.
Danielle Butzgy is co-owner of
The Bulletin reports that Occhialini, who lives nearby, was out with his dog when he smelled smoke and saw flames.
Oakdale, Chesterfield and Montville fire companies responded. A tanker with 1,000 gallons of water arrived first, and then a tanker shuttle system was used to bring water from Lake Oxoboxo, according to published reports.
The report of the fire came in at 5:48 Thursday, Montville Dispatch said.