1. Probably going to rain today; the weather geniuses give it a 70 percent chance. It will be fairly warm, during all that rain, with a high near 60. Cooler tonight. And darker.
2. St. Bernard School is holding the entrance exam on Saturday, starting at 8:30 a.m. Students wishing to take the exam may register now, at saint-bernard.com/application-procedures or by calling 860-848-1271, ext. 108.
3. If you need help with all those leaves, or with clearing brush or otherwise getting your yard in order - or if you'd like to line up snow-shoveling help before the need truly hits, you might consider the Montville Youth Service Bureau's Hire-A-Teen program.
The program matches teens with people in the community who need help. To find out how to hire a teen, , or (It's a snow-shoveling story, but the process is the same!) You can also check out the Youth Service Bureau's website!
4. Do you have an event you'd like to promote on the Montville Patch? It's easy, and it's FREE!
Look for the calendar in the top middle of the home page. Click the bright green “post your own event” button.
Fill in all the boxes and click “post my event” at the bottom. If your location is out of town, type in the whole address (84 High St., Westerly, R.I. for example) and then the locator map will work.
You can post your upcoming event immediately – it will be added to the calendar right away so folks have a good heads up that something is coming up. The more notice the better!
If your event has your own photos or video attached to it, I can give it even better play! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or to let me know you've posted your event!
5. Hey, today is National Fast Food Day! According to Punchbowl.com, the fast-food idea started in ancient Rome. There, street stands or "thermopoliums" (small pub-like shops) offered hot sausages, bread, and wine. The first fast-food restaurant in the U.S. was a hotdog stand on Coney Island; it opened in 1867.
So today, treat yourself to a little fast food, and know that you're upholding a long tradition!
Thought for the day
"Success comes from having dreams that are bigger than your fears." - Terry Litwiller, courtesy of Happy Publishing
And here's our poll: