1. Another gorgeous day; I almost feel guilty. Or maybe I’m wondering when the other shoe will drop? (Maybe Saturday with a 40 percent chance of rain…) Regardless, today will be another stunner: tons of sun, dry, cloudless with a high of 78. I mean come on! Awesome!
2. Celebrate half a century of service to the community at the 50th Anniversary of the Oakdale Fire Department Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The fire department is also home to a rescue and EMS service. Fire truck rides, demos, firehouse tours, free food, kids safety trailer, and demonstrations. And if that wasn’t enough, the first 200 people get a free T-shirt. Oakdale Fire is located at 444 Chapel Hill Road.
3. The Great Pumpkin Fair at the Quaker Hill Baptist Church on 144 Old Norwich Road is slated for Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. will feature crafts, tag sale , baked goods, and lunch. Who doesn’t love a Saturday morning church fair?
4. Tag sale alert: And it’s a two-day event! Today from 8 to 5! And Saturday as well with lots of baby/toddler clothes, books, and my favorite part: freebies! At 1 Leitao Drive (near Rt. 163).
5. According to Rhonda DiMaggio, Homes For Our Troops is a non-profit veterans support organization, which builds specially adapted homes and provides them mortgage free to veterans with life-altering injuries. She’s organized a vendor event for Saturday at the Montvile VFW to raise money for this wonderful cause. The vendors include crafts, food and small business vendors. Raffle tickets will be $5 “an arm length.” DiMaggio said all proceeds go to Homes For Our Troops. For more information check out Homes For Our Troops’ website.