In New London County, when we hear of someone going to the mall, we assume they are going to the 790,000-square-foot Crystal Mall in Waterford.
But what happens if you want a change of pace? While gas prices may be going up, don’t let it deter you from getting out there and taking an adventure.
Below is information on the five closest largest malls to the Crystal Mall.
Warwick Mall, Warwick, RI, 50 miles/56 minutes
- Size: 1,000,000+ square feet, 1 level, 80+ stores
- Anchors: 1 level: Off Broadway Shoes, Sports Authority, and Target, 2 levels: J.C. Penney, Jordan Furniture, and Macy’s.
- Entertainment: Showcase Cinemas (outparcel), and carousel
- Food court: Burger King, Dunkin’ Donuts, Little Tokyo, Panda Express, Sbarro, Subway, and Taco Bell
- Other food: Auntie Anne’s, Candy Zone, Fat Belly’s (outparcel), Longhorn Steakhouse (outparcel), Newport Creamery, Red Robin (outparcel), and Starbucks.
- Review: After a March 2010 flood damaged the mall, extensive renovations were performed and more stores were added. It seems each time I go; they are always adding something new.
- Nearby: Many shopping centers along Route 2 including Rhode Island Mall with anchor stores: 1-level Kohl’s and Wal-Mart, 2-level Sears
Connecticut Post Mall, , CT, 51 miles/63 minutes
- Size: 1,334,000 square feet, 3 levels, 215 stores
- Anchors: 1 level: Target, 2 levels: Sears, J.C. Penney, and Dick’s Sporting Goods, 3 levels: Macy’s.
- Entertainment: Rave 16-screen Theater with IMAX and mini food court including Ben & Jerry’s Nathan’s, and Sbarro Pizza, and children’s play space
- Food Court: Cajun Café & Grill, Great Wraps, Johnny Rocket’s, Little Tokyo, Million Snacks, Sbarro, Taco Bell, Texas BBQ Factory, Tour De Franks, and What a Deli
- Other Food: Black Bear Saloon, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chipotle Mexican Grill (outparcel), Cinnabon/Carvel, Panera Bread, Peace Love and Cupcakes, Pretzel Maker, Million Snacks/Coffee Beanery, Praline’s Ice Cream, Red Robin, Sakura Garden, Starbucks, and Wetzel’s Pretzels.
- Review: After a 2006 expansion, the mall has a great variety of tenants including food outlets. Currently, this is the largest mall in Connecticut.
- Nearby: Several shopping centers along Route 1. This is not far from Trumbull Shopping Park.
Buckland Hills Mall, , CT, 52 miles/70 minutes
- Size: 1,180,000 square feet, 2 levels, 145 stores
- Anchors: 1 level: Barnes and Noble, 2 levels: Dick’s Sporting Goods, J.C. Penney, Macy’s (2 anchor spaces), and Sears.
- Entertainment: Carousel, Children’s Play Area, and Funny Bone Comedy Club and Restaurant.
- Food Court: Burger King, Cajun Café, Charley’s Steakery, Master Wok, My Dream Cupcake, Praline’s Ice Cream, Sarku Japan, Sbarro, Subway, Taco Bell
- Other food: Bertucci’s Italian Restaurant, Ganache, Longhorn Steakhouse (outparcel), Mini Donut Factory, Orange Julius/Dairy Queen, Pretzel Maker, Red Robin (outparcel), Ruby Tuesday, and Wetzel’s Pretzels
- Review: There is a lot under one roof at one of the newest shopping malls in northern Connecticut including a comedy club, restaurants, and a big book store.
- Nearby: Many shopping centers surround the mall including Evergreen Walk. Some shoppers drive further north to Holyoke Mall, one of the largest malls in New England.
West Farms Mall, , CT, 52 miles/60 minutes
- Size: 1,288,000 square feet, 2 levels, 154 stores
- Anchors: 2 levels: J.C. Penney, Lord and Taylor, Macy’s (2 anchor spaces), and Nordstrom.
- Entertainment: None
- Food court: None
- Food: Au Bon Pain, Auntie Anne’s, BRIO Tuscan Grill, Burger King, Café Nordstrom, California Pizza Kitchen, Dunkin’ Donuts, Gloria Jean’s Coffees, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, Gusnavo Gelato, Mrs. Fields, My Dream Cupcake, Nordstrom Expresso Bar, Praline’s Ice Cream, Pretzel Maker, Rainforest Café, Ruby Tuesday, Sbarro, Starbucks, Subway, Surf City Express, and Taco Bell.
- Review: Features a number of high-end retailers not seen at most other CT malls.
- Nearby: Corbins Corner anchored by a huge , one-level Best Buy, Toys R Us, Old Navy, Office Depot, not far from Blue Black Square.
Providence Place Mall, Providence, RI, 60 miles/70 minutes
- Size: 1,400,000 square feet, 15 levels includes parking decks, 160 stores
- Anchors: 3-levels: J.C. Penney, Macy’s, Nordstrom, 1-level: Bed, Bath and Beyond, Old Navy
- Food court: Ben & Jerry’s, Cajun Luau, Charley’s Grilled Subs, Cheeseboy, Fugi Chen, Johnny Rocket’s, Popeye’s Chicken and Biscuits, Sakru Japan, Sbarro, Subway, Sushi Café, Taco Bell, and Tadka India.
- Other food: Cheesecake Factory, Dairy Queen/Orange Julius, Dunkin’ Donuts, Panera Bread, P.F. Chang’s, Joe’s American Bar and Grill, Fire + Ice, Chatters, The Melting Pot, and Uno Chicago Grill.
- Entertainment: Dave and Buster’s, National Amusement 16-screen Theater with IMAX, skywalk connection to Providence Convention Center and Dunkin’ Donuts Center.
- Review: Many high-end shops, variety of restaurants, parking fee in mall’s huge and confusing parking garages, largest mall in Rhode Island.
- Nearby: Downtown shopping, dining and entertainment venues. Not far from the Emerald Square Mall.