1. So I saw these headlines saying that storms would usher in heat relief. Great! But when I doubled checked the forecast, and saw a high for us of 90 degrees I thought, so much for those headlines. It will be mostly sunny early and then scattered thunderstorms will develop later in the day, and just for fun, the storms will bring gusty winds and hail! Who says we don’t have weather here in Southern Connecticut? Oh, and the moon tonight will be a sliver, a waning crescent the night before the ‘new moon.’
2. For me, fireflies are a wonderful reminder and symbol of my youth. I loved capturing them in jars and then letting them go after I’d examined them like a (mad) scientist. Fireflies are just way cool, so the should be lots of fun! Presented by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, kids will learn how fireflies ‘work’ and communicate and lots about lightning bug behavior. Children can enjoy making a glow-in-the-dark bug jar to use this summer to catch and release fireflies and as if that wasn’t enough, there’s also a firefly story: Sam and the Fire Fly. The Raymond Library is located at 32 Raymond Hill Road in Oakdale. Call 860-848-9943 for more info.
3. The Montville Leo Club has gone batty. The club is screening a show, plus the cost of popcorn, candy and other refreshments, what fun will it be to check out Batman under the stars? The movies will be shown at the Camp Oakdale Pavilion, at 8:15 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday nights.
4. The very last thing I expected from was controversy, but people do have their opinions – and they’re entitled to them. That said, the hydrant flushing is a requisite preventative maintenance job that has to be done, so make sure to mark your calendars: no drinking from the tap (or laundry, cooking … you get the idea) from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. next Tuesday through Thursday. July 24 through July 26.
5. I struggled with five. And then it came to me. Mohegan Sun slot revenues are down from a year ago, by nearly 3.7 percent. According to the Slot Machine Statistical Report (which may be easy to read for an actuarial but was not for me, newbie that I am to casino finances), last year's revenue was $56,964,656 million compared to $54,848,251 for this June. I'm not sure what this means to Montville if anything, but the numbers are so large, it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around them. How about you? Anyway, now you can bring this up at dinner tonight! You're welcome.