Congressional Republicans have repeatedly wasted taxpayer money voting to rescind what they derisively call Obamacare. I wonder if women take offense at the fact that as of this week, 47 million women will be finally able to access preventative health care without having to make a co-payment to the doctor.
Among the services are covered are: an annual check-up for adult women to get recommended preventive services; gestational diabetes screening for women 24 to 28 weeks pregnant, and those at high risk of developing gestational diabetes; breastfeeding support; supplies, and counseling for pregnant and postpartum women; and domestic violence screening and counseling for all adolescent and adult women. (An estimated 25 percent of U.S. women report being targets of intimate partner violence during their lifetime.)
The party of Lincoln has attempted to impose their anti-love agenda to all areas of our lives. I wonder if this is causing Abraham Lincoln to repeatedly turn in his grave as if he were a rotisserie chicken.
It is time for the Republican Party to unveil a new set of Ten Commandments:
1. The Ten Commandments in the Old Testament begins with, “Remember, I am the Lord who took you out of Egypt.” In thirty six places the Old Testament reminds its readers to treat the stranger kindly reiterating, “Remember, you were once strangers in Egypt.” Substitute instead, “Remember that your ancestors were once wealthy European landowners. Do not treat strangers well.”
2. In place of not taking the Lord’s name in vain substitute, “Frequently invoke God’s name to promote your ends.”
3. In the Book of Exodus and again in Deuteronomy it states: “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath in order that your workers and animals will be able to rest. Instead substitute, “Thou shall not raise the minimum wage nor allow workers to protect themselves against employers.”
4. Replace “Respect your parents”, “Follow the Tea Party leadership blindly, even if it is counter to your interests”.
5. Instead of the commandment not to commit murder, substitute, “Fill your homes with weapons. Do not kill the unborn but ignore the plight of the living.”
6. Replace “Do not steal”, with “Protect the wealthy and squeeze the middle class by having them carry the tax burden.”
7. Replace “Do not testify falsely under oath” with “Trample on the facts and vilify President Obama any way you can. Take bribes from lobbyists and violate your oath of office.”
8. Replace “Do not covet your neighbor’s home” with, “Let our infrastructure crumble and destroy the infrastructure of other countries.”
Abraham Lincoln repeatedly stated the following principle: The Constitution was made to put into action the principle stated in the Declaration of Independence that, “All men are created equal”. He stated in his July 4th 1861 message to Congress that the main object of the federal government, “is to elevate the condition of men; to afford all an unfettered start and a fair chance in the race of life.”
9. The party of Lincoln has an alternate vision and principle. “The federal government’s role is to refrain from elevating the condition of man and to not afford all an unfettered start and a fair chance in the race of life.”
Not long before he was murdered, Lincoln stated his concern that the power of corporations would be the ultimate undoing of the Union.
10. The party of Lincoln is trying as hard as they can to turn Lincoln into a prophet. I suggest as their final commandment “Let corporate interests operate unfettered no matter the cost in human suffering.”